The Galaxy Museum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Large asteroid to pass between Earth and moon on tuesday

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Sunspot
Earthbound
Sunspot

Large asteroid to pass between Earth and moon on tuesday Empty
PostSubject: Large asteroid to pass between Earth and moon on tuesday   Large asteroid to pass between Earth and moon on tuesday EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 1:50 am

Very Happy Found out about this the other day Wink

NASA in Final Preparations for Nov. 8 Asteroid Flyby

Asteroid 2005 YU55 to Approach Earth on November 8, 2011

"Although classified as a potentially hazardous object, 2005 YU55 poses no threat of an Earth collision over at least the next 100 years. However, this will be the closest approach to date by an object this large that we know about in advance and an event of this type will not happen again until 2028 when asteroid (153814) 2001 WN5 will pass to within 0.6 lunar distances."
Back to top Go down
Pulsar
Admin
Pulsar

PostSubject: Re: Large asteroid to pass between Earth and moon on tuesday   Large asteroid to pass between Earth and moon on tuesday EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 1:59 am

Sunspot wrote:
"Although classified as a potentially hazardous object, 2005 YU55 poses no threat of an Earth collision over at least the next 100 years.

Reassuring................

Too small for telescopes?
Back to top Go down
https://gmuseum.iftopic.com
Mooninite
Earthbound
Mooninite

PostSubject: Re: Large asteroid to pass between Earth and moon on tuesday   Large asteroid to pass between Earth and moon on tuesday EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 2:19 am

Sooner or later something is going to hit us so why doesn't it just hurry up and do it? The anticipation is killing me!
Back to top Go down
Sunspot
Earthbound
Sunspot

PostSubject: Re: Large asteroid to pass between Earth and moon on tuesday   Large asteroid to pass between Earth and moon on tuesday EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 2:29 am

Hahaha XD

The asteroid is 400 meters so pretty big.. it says on one of the nasa links ...
"Amateur astronomers who want to get a glimpse at YU55 will need a telescope with an aperture of 6 inches (15 centimeters) or larger."
I might try and see if I can find it... need to find a sky map so I know how to locate it first.. hmm .. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mooninite
Earthbound
Mooninite

PostSubject: Re: Large asteroid to pass between Earth and moon on tuesday   Large asteroid to pass between Earth and moon on tuesday EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 2:32 am

Sunspot wrote:
Hahaha XD

The asteroid is 400 meters so pretty big.. it says on one of the nasa links ...
"Amateur astronomers who want to get a glimpse at YU55 will need a telescope with an aperture of 6 inches (15 centimeters) or larger."
I might try and see if I can find it... need to find a sky map so I know how to locate it first.. hmm .. Smile
This may be a flawed logic but if we build a bat at 800 meters surely we could just whack it into the sun? It works fine small scale.
I am going to start the big bat now since there is a lovely tree outside that I dislike.
Back to top Go down
Sunspot
Earthbound
Sunspot

PostSubject: Re: Large asteroid to pass between Earth and moon on tuesday   Large asteroid to pass between Earth and moon on tuesday EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 3:15 am

"Western Europe and North America are especially favored for viewing 2005 YU55. The asteroid will traverse the 70° of sky eastward from Aquila to central Pegasus in just 10 hours, clipping along at 7 arcseconds per second. The finder chart below will give you an idea of where to look."
Large asteroid to pass between Earth and moon on tuesday 2005_YU55_overview
http://mwvastronomy.net/2011/11/asteroid-2005-yu55-makes-a-close-pass-to-earth-november-8th/
Back to top Go down
Pulsar
Admin
Pulsar

PostSubject: Re: Large asteroid to pass between Earth and moon on tuesday   Large asteroid to pass between Earth and moon on tuesday EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 4:19 am

I shall be watching in that general direction, though I doubt I'll see anything. My telescope can technically do it, but I'm just...shite.
Back to top Go down
https://gmuseum.iftopic.com
Sunspot
Earthbound
Sunspot

PostSubject: Re: Large asteroid to pass between Earth and moon on tuesday   Large asteroid to pass between Earth and moon on tuesday EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 6:58 am

Yeah doesn't look like anyone in the UK will be seeing it tonight as it is totally clouded over XD

There will be a live stream of it from a Canary Island telescope that starts at 9pm on www.slooh.com
Back to top Go down
Sunspot
Earthbound
Sunspot

PostSubject: Re: Large asteroid to pass between Earth and moon on tuesday   Large asteroid to pass between Earth and moon on tuesday EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 10:25 am

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/clay-center-observatory Very Happy another stream of the asteroid
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Large asteroid to pass between Earth and moon on tuesday   Large asteroid to pass between Earth and moon on tuesday Empty

Back to top Go down

Large asteroid to pass between Earth and moon on tuesday
Page 1 of 1